Last Stormtrooper Detachment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Last Stormtrooper Detachment - only Imperial Stormtroopers are this precise.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
L.S.D is first and foremost a stormtrooper armour discussion board, but we also deal with other Star Wars props and costumes. If you do not yet have an account, sign up today, and join the rest of the peas!
www.elitestomtrooper.com

Split Rivets for Torso

Go down 
+5
Mondas42
SuperTrooper
locitus
JohnBlackk
firebladejedi
9 posters
AuthorMessage
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

Split Rivets for Torso Empty
PostSubject: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 8:49 am

Ok so the correct rivets for your accurate armour build you are looking for split rivets or bifurcated rivets. Not pop rivets. You can buy them from most good fabric stores and they come in brass or nickel. Get them in nickel.

They are used on the torso, for side and crotch closure and on the right thigh for the power pack.

They look like this...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitestormtrooper.net
JohnBlackk
Cannon fodder
JohnBlackk

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 6:16 pm

Hey Mark (or anyone), a couple of questions about split rivets since I only have experience with pop rivets...I have seen you mention that they should be 9mm, are you referring to the diameter of the top/cap/button?
Do you simply use pliers to bend the "legs" of the rivet for setting into place?
Back to top Go down
http://www.starwarsfreak.tumblr.com
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi John yes the size refers to the size of the head - the shank itself is around 4-5mm.. You need a tool to spread the legs of the rivet, they can be difficult to work with.

I think putting a screw driver inbetween the legs and using mole grips works well.
Back to top Go down
JohnBlackk
Cannon fodder
JohnBlackk

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks for both answers! I am currently searching google for the tool that splits the legs back. If I don't find the tool I'm sure I'll figure a way to improvise.
I still invite anyone that has used these to share their method of splitting the legs on these rivets.
Back to top Go down
http://www.starwarsfreak.tumblr.com
locitus
Detachment Leader
locitus

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 11:13 pm

Does anyone have a couple of these fore sale btw? I have no idea what these are called in swedish so I don't know what do ask for or where to look for them.
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 8:50 am

Hi mate I have plenty let me have your address Smile
Back to top Go down
locitus
Detachment Leader
locitus

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 11:48 am

Cheers mate! Smile
Back to top Go down
SuperTrooper
Deck Officer
SuperTrooper

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 4:02 pm

What about the "flower" rivets that have been seen on some suits?
Back to top Go down
Mondas42
Cannon fodder

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi

I only need half a dozen of these split rivets. Does anyone have any spares they can let me have please?

Thanks

Martin

Back to top Go down
sskunky
Cast from Original
sskunky

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:07 pm

I have flower rivets

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
ccatkins
Cannon fodder

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 4:20 pm

How succesful have people been at installing these without a special tool?
Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 6:58 pm

ccatkins wrote:

Jam the shaft of a screwdriver inbetween the two "legs" and push down carefully, progressively applying more force. Once they open up enough, twat 'em with a hammer! It worked for me.
Back to top Go down
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:29 pm

Luv it Rich Twat 'em with a hammer Split Rivets for Torso 559234
Back to top Go down
locitus
Detachment Leader
locitus

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:31 pm

Rich330 wrote:
ccatkins wrote:

Jam the shaft of a screwdriver inbetween the two "legs" and push down carefully, progressively applying more force. Once they open up enough, twat 'em with a hammer! It worked for me.
i did the same but used a pair of pliers instead of the hammer.
Back to top Go down
ccatkins
Cannon fodder

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:33 pm

C'mon guys, don't confuse me with tech speak Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Split Rivets for Torso   Split Rivets for Torso I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Split Rivets for Torso
Page 1 of 1