Last Stormtrooper Detachment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Last Stormtrooper Detachment - only Imperial Stormtroopers are this precise.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
L.S.D is first and foremost a stormtrooper armour discussion board, but we also deal with other Star Wars props and costumes. If you do not yet have an account, sign up today, and join the rest of the peas!
www.elitestomtrooper.com

Do you paint all the ears when doing a build

Go down 
+6
Darth Voorhees
locitus
stukatrooper
firebladejedi
Psammead
SW1
10 posters
AuthorMessage
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  Empty
PostSubject: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:37 pm

Hi I want to know and it might sound like a stupid question , but doing my HDPE build i have the white plastic ears but do i paint the when painting the lid white or just leave them the white that they are ?
Back to top Go down
Psammead
Deck Officer

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:47 pm

If this is for the v3 I'd just leave them unpainted then touch up the screws once they've been put on. I've seen pictures of Stormtroopers and their ears were a different colour to the rest of the helmet.
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:52 pm

Paint everything once the helmet has been assembled Inc ears.
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitestormtrooper.net
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Many thanks Guys for your imput Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  286346
Back to top Go down
stukatrooper
L.S.D Admin
stukatrooper

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Psammead wrote:
If this is for the v3 I'd just leave them unpainted then touch up the screws once they've been put on. I've seen pictures of Stormtroopers and their ears were a different colour to the rest of the helmet.

Remember what this forum is all about, Accurate builds so with that in mind,its ears on then paint .There is no other way to go about it.

Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  122247366_1c6a2527df

This a great example of what is seen on screen used lids when the ears are removed.You can see that the helmet was painted after the ears were screwed in place.
Back to top Go down
locitus
Detachment Leader
locitus

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 6:07 pm

I'm wondering how the rivet holding the helmet together got paint on it if it the helmet was painted after it was assembled. I'm not questioning how things were done, I'm just curious.

That is a very good question and i think the answer might be loss fitting ears and the paint running under the ears.Who knows but 90% of the ear area has no paint and it would be crazy to leave that shape so the ears would have been on there when the main body of the lid was coated.
Back to top Go down
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 6:18 pm

Thats great Pete , i want to keep it as how they were on screen , with rivits and all Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  286346
Back to top Go down
Psammead
Deck Officer

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:19 pm

stukatrooper wrote:
Psammead wrote:

Remember what this forum is all about, Accurate builds so with that in mind,its ears on then paint .There is no other way to go about it.

This a great example of what is seen on screen used lids when the ears are removed.You can see that the helmet was painted after the ears were screwed in place.

I thought (well was told) this was only the case for sandtroopers due to time constraints whereas stormtroopers were paint then ears, hence the screws showing here...

Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  Orignial-stormtrooper-helmets-andrew-ainsworth-star-wars-a-new-hope-x425

This always made sense to me seeing as the picture is from March '76 and filming in Tunisia started in the same month.
Back to top Go down
stukatrooper
L.S.D Admin
stukatrooper

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:22 pm

I tell you what ,this has turned into a great little subject .Great questions guys.
Back to top Go down
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:11 pm

I have my moments Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  407583 well iam 138 wise old elf , luv your gaffitie goldrod Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  554227
Back to top Go down
Darth Voorhees
Cannon fodder
Darth Voorhees

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 11:19 am

Interesting. I also see in that pic the helmet on the bottom closest to us has no ears and appears to be white all over. Psammead may be onto something here...hmmm
Back to top Go down
R2Dan
L.S.D Admin
R2Dan

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 12:08 pm

yep, but if you check out the pics taken from that pyramid from different angles you will see most had the ears on already, definitely more than there were Sandtroopers.
Back to top Go down
Psammead
Deck Officer

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 12:31 pm

A large proportion didn't though, there are 5 that can be seen on the bottom two rows here and that's excluding the one on the bottom right that we know is white beneath the ears from the other shot. I'm starting to think that there were different people assembling these lids so some were painted first, some had ears put on first.

Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  Original-stormtrooper-helmets-in-street-1976
Pic nicked from Star Wars Helmets, ask and I'll take it down.
Back to top Go down
R2Dan
L.S.D Admin
R2Dan

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 12:38 pm

from the three pics I have I can see this:
e=ears on,
n= no ears on
?= can't tell

ee?eee
e?neee
ee?nnee
n???nnen

Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Eeeny meeny miney mo! Smile
Back to top Go down
Pappy
Deck Officer
Pappy

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Its going to be interesting to know what was it like beneath when dave m's and brian r's helmet had their ears removed :D
Back to top Go down
sskunky
Cast from Original
sskunky

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 9:44 pm

SW1 wrote:
I have my moments Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  407583 well iam 138 wise old elf , luv your gaffitie goldrod Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  554227

Someones been watch too much "Ben and Holly"...... Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  554227
Back to top Go down
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Yes Mark , iam really a bit like King Thistle a grumpy old sod Laughing
Back to top Go down
sskunky
Cast from Original
sskunky

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Ha Ha! Not that I watch childrens TV or anything..... Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  960881
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you paint all the ears when doing a build    Do you paint all the ears when doing a build  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you paint all the ears when doing a build
Page 1 of 1