Last Stormtrooper Detachment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Last Stormtrooper Detachment - only Imperial Stormtroopers are this precise.

HomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
L.S.D is first and foremost a stormtrooper armour discussion board, but we also deal with other Star Wars props and costumes. If you do not yet have an account, sign up today, and join the rest of the peas!
www.elitestomtrooper.com

TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build Empty
PostSubject: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 1:16 pm

I recently completed my ESB build with TM's 1mm ABS. Here's a recap of how the build progressed ...

I took delivery of a big brown box of goodies at the end of November 2010.

It included this fantastic HDPE replica helmet, fully assembled and painted by TM. Many thanks to Paul for the incredible work on the helmet.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And this 1mm flexible armour .... it's mental!

Last edited by Rich330 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 1:20 pm

I deliberated long and hard about whether to paint my armour. I share TM's opinion that the off-white colour matches a lot of the unpainted suits that can be seen in ANH.
When I look at my ESB screen captures, I think I'm seeing a lot of glossy painted armour parts. I haven't managed to confirm this but I decided to go ahead and paint my armour to achieve the look I see on my TV screen.

I had my armour fully assembled and was in my home made paint booth on a nice sunny afternoon and got it all primed and ready for the first gloss coat!

Ran out of Halford's white primer and had to switch to a standard grey product. The gloss white should cover it fine though ...

I'm lucky to be able to do this stuff outside in the Canarian "winter". Nice and dry and a warm 23°C Razz :D
Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 1:21 pm

Another glorious day today so I was able to give my armour it's coat of gloss white.

It was looking pretty good considering it's me first attempt (Pete's tutoral helped a lot).

Top one, nice one get sorted ... hardcore, you know the score! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 1:23 pm

Once I was happy with my paint job, it was time to take the newspaper to the finished parts and add some on-set type dirt ...

This is what a few of the parts were looking like after a date with "La Opinión de Tenerife".

Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 1:27 pm

My strapping kit arrived so I had another busy Saturday.

Getting close to being wearable ...

Now, I'm not sure what folk were going to make of the next shots because I decided to add a bit of my own innovation.
I figured that with all this weathering going on on the outisde of the armour, and attention paid to correct internal strapping, the inside of the armour needed some signs of wear and use too.
Bear in mind, this is supposed to represent a suit which has already survived the filming of A New Hope and has been in storage for three years before being dragged out again.
I wanted to show some signs of sweat and residue adhesive from internal repairs with sticky tape.
So, adopting a common technique from guitar relic'ing (staining with black tea) and one I stumbled across myself (applying cheap parcel tape to the plastic and ripping it off quickly to leave residue), I added some 70's style grime to the inside of my suit ...

Also, because I'm using either clear E6000 or Araldite (which is also largely clear) I wasn't getting the white adhesive residue on the elastic that you see on the originals. I also wanted to replicate that white "gunk", so I thinly brushed on some fabric paint ...

Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Internal weathering in progress ...

Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 1:29 pm

The finished armour ...

Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 1:31 pm

Trying to recreate the ESB promo photos look ...

Well, almost ... :D

Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Can you pick me out? Wink

Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 1:37 pm

I have toyed with the idea of ripping out the strapping system and implementing some of the typical running repairs with rivets etc. to make my suit look more 1979 than 1976.
In the end I decided to keep the original ANH strapping and wear it as it is. If it suffers some malfunctions along the way, I will add repairs. If not, then it's just a well-preserved suit, recycled for ESB. I'm sure they picked out the best of the lot left over from filming the original Star Wars film so maybe there were a few largely undamaged suits. Who knows?
Back to top Go down
SW1
Chief Bean Shaker
SW1

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Great to see you here Rick , first can i say that your 1mm TM is Pants TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build 554227 you know what i mean , no but mate it is truley Stunning as your other builds you defently look like you just walked of the set even have the 1970 heir do afro luv it .
Back to top Go down
firebladejedi
Blame me.. I started it!
firebladejedi

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Awesome ESB suit rich Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.elitestormtrooper.net
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Would you believe I've not trooped in this yet. I've had a couple of events recently and I've used the trusty old 2mm glossy or I've gone as a Gunner.
Time for a run out I feel ....

Back to top Go down
stukatrooper
L.S.D Admin
stukatrooper

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Rich how long had this gem of a thread been here,outstanding (bar goes up another notch)

Classic picture mate.

that Gareth hunt gets every were

Back to top Go down
http://www.elitestormtrooper.net
89batman
Armchair Armourer (update now takes hands on approach)
89batman

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 12:17 am

Looks amazing Rich! I noticed your calves are seperating at the bottom by the boot is that a case of tightening the elastic or are the boots too wide?
Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 8:07 am

89batman wrote:
Looks amazing Rich! I noticed your calves are seperating at the bottom by the boot is that a case of tightening the elastic or are the boots too wide?

In the pictures I've got the bottom strap unhooked. It's a snug fit but they do close. I could/should have left a bit more overlap on the calves and should maybe reposition and reglue the bottom straps.
Back to top Go down
Rich330
Captain
Rich330

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 9:56 am

Rich330 wrote:
89batman wrote:

In the pictures I've got the bottom strap unhooked. It's a snug fit but they do close. I could/should have left a bit more overlap on the calves and should maybe reposition and reglue the bottom straps.

There you go ... Sorted! TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build 559234

Suited up for the first time at the new house so I took a few shot sup on the roof. Much better light than in the old garden ...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build   TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build
Page 1 of 1